The healing properties of chicken broth, paired with lemongrass and shiitake mushrooms, make for a healing, comforting soup. Perfect for recovery.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil + a little extra
- 6–8 medium shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ medium onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 2 medium carrots, sliced, about 1 cup
- 1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed and peeled down to about a 4-inch piece
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 6 cups chicken bone broth
- 1/2 small head green cabbage, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup cooked chicken (about 1 large chicken breast), shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat a pot over medium-high heat. Pour in 2 Tbsp. oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the mushrooms, stirring frequently, and sauté until they look cooked (no longer white and dry), about 2 minutes.
- Pour a little more oil into the pan and add the onion and carrots. Sauté until the onion is translucent, stirring frequently, about 2-3 minutes.
- Slightly smash the lemongrass with the handle of your knife to help release the oils. Add the lemongrass and garlic, and sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the broth and cabbage, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Check that the cabbage and carrots are tender.
- Add the shredded chicken and remove lemongrass. Ladle into bowls and serve.